#555: The Mindset I Adopt When I Don't Know The First Step & Have To Figure It Out
99% of entrepreneurship is having to ‘figure things out’ – here’s the process I use when I don’t know where to start
I don’t know if anyone has ever told you this, but 99% of entrepreneurship is figuring things out when you have no idea what to do.
That’s not an exact statistic, but you get the point.
I can’t tell you how many times I've set a goal without having the slightest clue on the first step to take. And I’m talking about big goals – like writing a book, and adding an entire sales department to my team.
For me, having to get a little scrappy in order to figure something out is one of the most exciting parts of being an entrepreneur. I like being resourceful, I like learning new things, and I also get a ton of satisfaction out of creating something from nothing.
But the thing is, the fact that ‘figuring it out’ is exciting and not overwhelming to me is because I have a very specific mindset I adopt when I’m facing a new challenge.
And in this episode, I’m going to share what that mindset is. You’ll also hear:
- Why being resourceful is the key to figuring anything out
- How to create an identity around the fact that you’re a resourceful person
- The specific steps I take when I’m clueless on how to accomplish my goals
- The mantra I tell myself when I start to feel overwhelmed
If you’ve ever not done something because you don’t know how to do it, then this episode is for you, sweet friend. So pop in those earpods and give this episode your full attention!
Here’s a glance at this episode...
- [04:38] The first thing to do when you don't know what to do is to create an identity around being a resourceful person.
- [08:18] Break your goal into small segments or phases. Take small steps and as you complete them move on to the next one.
- [09:55] If you're not sure how to do something, reach out to someone who has already done it. Then put together a plan and get into action.
- [13:18] Clarity comes with each step and action creates momentum.
- [14:24] When you embrace mistakes, that’s when the magic happens.
- [16:22] Homework: List five things that you've always wanted to do in your business but haven't because you don't know how.
Rate, Review, & Follow on Apple Podcasts
"I love Amy and Online Marketing Made Easy." <-- If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people -- just like you -- move toward the online life and business that they desire. Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, follow the podcast. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the feed and, if you’re not following, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out. Follow now!